Christian music is one of those "hot topics" where a lot of good people disagree. The Bible has a lot to say about music and we advise you to search the Scriptures, and pray for wisdom in determining the difference between doctrine and preference.
There are two things to consider, regardless of the type of music, or the setting:
- Is there any lyrical content that directly opposes the Word of God?
- Was the song written by an artist known for their anti-Christian behavior?
Once you have determined that the song passes the tests laid forth above, you need to consider the application:
- Am I singing during a worship service or am I at home, listening for pleasure?
- Who is my audience? (if you are at church, the answer is God)
- If I am performing, will people focus on Christ, or will they focus on me?
Bible Verses Regarding Music
Psalms 105:2 – Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works.
Ephesians 5:19 – Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Psalms 104:33 – I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
Psalms 95:1 – O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Christian Music for Use at Church
Here are links to music that honor the Lord, and we aren't hesitant to put forward. For those seeking offertories, vocal selections, or music for Children's choirs, we hope these will be a blessing.