Christian Women Serving at Home, Church, & the Community
Christian women serving the church are told to go forth into this world as “light,” where they are to do all things with “charity.” This directive doesn’t mean you have to pack up and hit a foreign mission field. Christian women serving at home can fulfill this command just by reaching out to those around them.
“She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.” Proverbs 31:26
Christian Women Serving the Church
There are so many ways to be involved in the work of God. We suggest you take a Spiritual Gifts Survey and do an honest assessment of your skills and talents. Find a way to plug-in at your local church. Even the smallest of ministries is still a ministry. Consider different ways you can get involved.
- Join the Choir.
- Fold bulletins.
- Walk through the Sanctuary after Service, and pick up any trash left in the pews.
- Volunteer as a substitute Sunday School teacher.
- Help with VBS.
- They always need help in the nursery.
- Adopt a shut-in.
- Encourage your pastor’s wife with cards and PRAY FOR HER.
Honestly, the list is endless.
Christian Women Serving Their Families
Whether you are married, single, a parent, childless, young, or old – you have a family. A church family!
- Write cards of encouragement and leave them in Choir folders.
- Take cookies to one of the Children’s Sunday School Classes.
- Get to know one of the older ladies, and stop by once a week to visit with them.
- Help a young mother by offering to watch her children for an hour while she shops.
- Bake a treat for a widower (be careful here, so you don’t give the wrong impression).
- Look for ways to brighten someone’s day.
At home, you can make sure your house brims with love. Share the Word of God with your children. Pray for your husband. Call your mother and spend a few moments, just being her friend.
Christian Women Serving the Community
This command to serve goes directly back to our original purpose for being on the earth. Jesus told Christians to be a light in this world. Share the gospel with your neighbor. Reach out to the needy and volunteer at local charities. Become involved in your community. The Bible commands us to stay separate but NOT separated. It is impossible to show people the love of Christ unless you interact with them.
In the past, Christian women were the ones who reached out to the poor and ministered to the needy. At some point, we let the government take over and started looking the other way. I think we should take it back.
Remember that God put us here to serve. There is no better way to show others the love of Christ than by showering them with it.
About the Author
Kim, and her husband, Craig, celebrated 28 years of marriage this year. Mother to four boys, and one girl, Kim has spent the past 21 years homeschooling her children.Kim directs the Children's Music Ministry at church, teaches children's Bible classes, nannies two sweet little boys, and serves as a freelance writer for several web-based businesses.